one tiny soapbox: You Need A Budget!
Home

Thursday, March 6

You Need A Budget!

orget that old envelope system, enough with the "I keep it all in my head" excuse. If you sincerely want to be faithful to manage the funds the Lord has entrusted you with, then you do need a budget.

What exactly is a budget, you may be wondering? Well, it certainly doesn't have to be some laborious, time-intensive compilation of books and ledgers. No, a budget is merely a tool whereby all the funds under your direct stewardship are effectively monitored. This tool should also be flexible enough to enable you to forecast where you'll be 6, 12 or even 42 months from now, if you desire.

Some of my friends resist the whole notion of keeping a (written) budget by denouncing it as a needlessly cumbersome practice. They say things like: "oh, I know about how much goes in and out of my accounts," or "yeah, we have a pretty good idea of where our money goes." Sadly, many of these dear folks fit the classic "paycheck-to-paycheck" profile. It's hard enough to track funds with the necessary tools, why make it an even more precarious situation by using only your head (or the occasional loose piece of paper).

Again, as stewards of the funds with which we've been entrusted (remember, it's not our money), I truly believe it behooves us to be a bit more organized than we generally want to be. After all, would you handle your boss's money that way?

If any of this makes sense to you, then I urge you to follow the link below to the YouNeedABudget web site. I doubt you'll regret it.



Said my piece on it. Now I'm done.

ibcarlos, Reformed thinker

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "You Need A Budget!"

 

post a comment
ibcw © 2005-10