one tiny soapbox: ATT Yahoo's bad call
Home

Wednesday, June 6

ATT Yahoo's bad call

While I certainly do not agree with most anti-establishment belly-achers over the perceived worsening moral plight of corporate America "Fat Cats," I do, now and again, see a clear need to express one's opinions with respect to some tactless or ill-advised policy that is forced upon the consuming masses.

One such action is that of ATT Yahoo's very recent decision to implement a policy of rather heavy advertising across the board of email account holders. This means that now all users - regardless of whether paid or free - are forced to endure both text and graphic advertising while using their email. (My premium account interface is surrounded by ads on almost all sides.)

This simply will not do, for me.

If you're also an ATT Yahoo customer and feel the same as I, then by all means contact them here and let your voice be heard.

ibcarlos, Reformed thinker

Labels: , ,

Comments on "ATT Yahoo's bad call"

 

Blogger Jake said... (Wed Jun 06, 01:29:00 PM 2007) : 

Right on! I already wrote Yahoo! to complain. If they keep those obnoxious animated ads, there's no doubt that I'll switch to GMail.

 

Blogger ibcarlos said... (Wed Jun 06, 01:47:00 PM 2007) : 

I'm half-way there with you, Jake.

I do have a few reservations with switching to gmail (which I do like):

1) the 3 years of emails I have archived in my ATT Yahoo account

2) the fact that I'm paying them for DSL, which would mean the trouble of switching my service entirely to another provider. (Since part of my fee to them pays for a 2-gig email account, why simply open another account elsewhere and pay twice, right?)

3) the learning curve that always follows such a switch. The good thing is, Google's services are, normally, quite intuitive...much like apple products.

We'll see, though. If Yahoo doesn't respond favorably, it may well be worth the effort of switching.

 

Blogger Jake said... (Wed Jun 06, 02:50:00 PM 2007) : 

Working on it now. Right now, I'm working to disassociate my account. I'll either associate it w/ a DSL account I have with Verizon, or pay the $20/year to Yahoo! for premium mail service.

But ya, go ahead and cancel your AT&T DSL. They have zero respect for their customers, which has been my experience everytime I've dealt w/ AT&T/SBC.

 

Blogger ibcarlos said... (Wed Jun 06, 02:54:00 PM 2007) : 

Thanks, Jake, for the word of warning.

As mentioned in my post, I actually do have the ATT Yahoo premium email account, and it's filled with Ads' just like yours.

We'll see...as yet, I'm undecided...

 

Blogger Jake said... (Wed Jun 06, 02:59:00 PM 2007) : 

I called the AT&T support number they gave me, in order to unmerge my account. It took 15 minutes and 2 CSRs, but they finally managed to... give me another number to call. I have to call 1-866-849-8231, which is apparently a Yahoo! customer support phone number. So far that's 1 chat session & 2 phone conversations, and that's what I got to show for it.

Again, that's 866-849-8231 if you want to unmerge your AT&T and Yahoo! accounts. I believe that's only an option if your Yahoo! account predates your AT&T account.

 

Blogger ibcarlos said... (Thu Jun 07, 07:39:00 PM 2007) : 

Thanks for that, Jake. You're a helpful guy!

 

post a comment
ibcw © 2005-10